[vorbis] Frequency response issues with native ogg vrs re-encoded ogg.

k_myers at irito.com k_myers at irito.com
Mon Sep 10 03:47:01 PDT 2001

Thanks for your comments back...

Yes, I use oddcast to do the down step to 96kbps on the icecast2 stream and
what is strange it that it sound better. (To me at least) This is with
respect to bass, and over all fidelity, but after listening to a few
different sets, it does it with state of the union more then any other set
that I have encoded from the original wave files to ogg. I did the encoding
to ogg with oggdrop (not exactly sure if that had the RC2 encoder in it). On
the mp3 side I used the Radium "enhanced" Fhg Professional codec and WaveLab
3.0 at VBR 128kbps and VBR 256kbps. When I stream mp3 I am using oddcast dsp
beta 25 and of course that uses LAME with the settings using VBR "ABR" mode
with no hi or low pass cut off.

My problems seem to be the opposite of what people understand with mp3 vs
Vorbis. I am  getting the bass response I want to hear out of mp3 and I am
not talking "just being louder". It seems that vorbis does not have the same
kind of "punch through" at frequencies ranging from 70hz (and probably
lower) to 240hz. I am going to run some tests tomorrow when I get into the
studio using the original wave file for State of the Union (mastered with
the effects) and encode to Vorbis 350kbps and MP3 (at 360kbps if I can get
it that high.. not sure though as I am using Vegas 2.0 to do this) and then
take the files back into wave format and put them through a set of freqency
analyzers running at the same time in sync and see what I get. I may also
just out of curiosity try AC3. It would be interesting to hear the
differences in each side by side.

I know what you mean with Sony head phones in general however the MDR-7506
are not what I call "DJ headphones" since they are more often found wrapped
around the necks or the heads of directors on set (which is why I have a
pair as I do some ADR from time to time) and are the defacto standard in
just about any dialog mixing studio I have been in. The MDJ-700's are
definitely over the top with bass, and I rarely use them for mixing final
masters. They are just too over powering at times.

Once I get a few tests completed, I will post the resulting files on my ftp
site or have them for DL somewhere. I am also going to encode some test
pattern type files taken from the Berhinger test disc that ships with their
mixer consoles (we recently picked up one of their small Euroracks which
sounds fantastic for under 300 bucks Canadian) into both mp3 and Ogg. They
have some great tests for setting up gear and I think it would be good for
everyone to have a locked set of these files kicking around to use in these
situations instead of dealing with variables all the time. Variables are
good however, because no matter what... that is the way the world works.. :)
thanks again for your help.

Lithium