[Re: [vorbis] new ogg stream]

k_myers at irito.com k_myers at irito.com
Fri Sep 7 10:03:39 PDT 2001

More accurately "40%" of the staff was toasted. (whatever the physical
number is.. who knows, who cares)
In that, included the guy who wrote the now declared incredibly buggy
shoutcast dsp 1.8.2.
I don't think it really has anything to do with vorbis development. Many
times, the "lead developer" (which also happens to be the only developer on
shoutcast at the moment) Tag, has said with Tom backing him up, "Vorbis is
something too little too late".  I have the email from that conversation if
this list wants to see it.  Of course to a certain extent, I agree, I think
things should be a lot further along then they are now with server
technology for Vorbis. Soon hopefully things will start to shape up. :)

I think the fact that nullsoft is getting trimmed is a good thing. Keeps
people on their toes instead of relying on them to advance technology
(something they have not done in almost 2 years after the buy out IMHO) and
projects such as this one are an indicator that progressive technology and
broadcasters are not going to sit around waiting for them to figure it out.

Nullsoft had their chance... I would rather see player support from
Microsoft and Real and Apple then AOL. Besides, if you want a vorbis plug-in
for winamp, you can write one... (and probably do a better job),  I don't
even think their Vorbis in_plug, was even written by any of their staff, and
it was a subcontract job. Of course I could be wrong. But then again, I
could be very dead on...

I know that there are active movie filters for Windows Media player that
will allow it to play vorbis files, but does it actually allow for it to
tune into a vorbis, or rather an ogg stream?

Lithium