lowpass option (Was: RE: [vorbis] channel coupling in rc2)

Gian-Carlo Pascutto gcp at sjeng.org
Tue Sep 4 05:04:20 PDT 2001

At 06:37 4/09/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Ross Levis (ral at baycom.co.nz) wrote:
>> > From: owner-vorbis at xiph.org [mailto:owner-vorbis at xiph.org]On Behalf Of
>> > Gian-Carlo Pascutto
>
>> > If you think the current lowpass is too low for your hearing then the
>> > solution is more likely a higher *bitrate* than a higher lowpass.
>
>Imagine a stereo that has only a volume knob.  If the music has not
>enough bass, turn up the volume and you'll get more bass.  If the music
>has not enough treble, turn up the volume and you'll get more treble.

IMHO your comparisation is completely invalid here. Please
refute what I say. You can give an example to clarify. You
can't give a flawed example and use that as refutation.

If you want to encode more HF, you need to up total amount of
bits used to encode the signal _and_ the highpass to get a good
result. Picking a higher bitrate in Vorbis does exactly that
(because you're NOT actually picking a higher bitrate, your
picking a higher lowpass with less HF masking and a less
aggressive stereo mode).

(if it puts your mind at ease, Monty is experimenting with putting
the lowpass at 20Khz for 128kbps)

--
GCP