[vorbis] Patents and GPL (was: Re: PlusV)

Jay Sprenkle cupycake_jay at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 18 15:59:34 PDT 2001

> Let's say you download my source code and release a modified version.
> Can I still sue you for patent violation (and win), or does the GPL
> protect you, somehow implicitly granting the sort of no-charge,
> no-royalty license that would be required for GPL compatibility?

If you did this, then sued the author of a derivative work
I think your case that the author of the derivative work violated
your patent would be completely invalidated since you granted them
permission to do so under GPL. You can hold rights under
patent/copyright
law but then subsequently relinquish them by announcing that you do so
(by releasing it under open source/GPL etc.)

My amateur understanding of software legalities.