[vorbis] More on CD anti-copying techniques

Kenneth Arnold ken at arnoldnet.net
Wed Oct 3 13:41:33 PDT 2001

On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 08:15:30PM +0200, Jernej Simon?i? wrote:
> 3. oktober 2001, 19:57:57, you wrote:
>
> CD> I agree; I'm guessing the files won't be above 128k, and might be as low
> CD> as 96k. I would be shocked if they got as high as 192k, which is about the
> CD> lowest bitrate for WMA that I would care to listen to.

The highest bitrate available for the encoder built into
WMP8. Tolerable for most samples, though it still sounds just a tad
"off" of some things.

> <sarcasm>
> So, you didn't hear that WMA can achieve almost-CD-quality at 64kbps?
> </sarcasm>

Nah, "almost-CD quality" is 48kbps. Depends on your definition of
"is", I guess. If "is"="is as far as the crowd of zombie Windows users
care to tell", then perhaps Microsoft is right about something.

I think that may have bordered on flaming, so I'll douse a little
water on it and ask: are there any decent spectrum analyzer vis
plugins for WMP? I got a real nice spectrum analyzer for WinAmp whose
name escapes me at the moment, but I can only use it when in WinXP,
and at that only when it doesn't crash (3 hard locks and counting,
probably hardware-related but Linux has never had a problem, and one
of them was just maximizing a window, which significantly bolsters my
respect for any OS </sarcasm>). I haven't been able to find an
equivalent plugin for any Linux audio player (suggestions welcome!),
so if I get some free time I'll be hacking FFTs anyway so I'll make a
plugin out of it. Unfortunately I can't help the WMP situation because
I'd have to <gasp>buy a compiler</gasp> to do it. Not to mention
digging out SDKs, and overall using up resources that could be much
better used working on open-souce things. Like Vorbis and my continued
random audio compression experimentation that may eventually someday
get somewhere (maybe).

Back to hacking...

--
Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net> / kcarnold / Linux user #180115
http://arnoldnet.net/~kcarnold/

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/pgp-signature attachment: stored
</UL>