[vorbis] More on CD anti-copying techniques

Jay Sprenkle cupycake_jay at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 2 16:22:03 PDT 2001

> > Well, if you put WMA files on the CD besides normal music, these files
> > eat some space, which could be used for normal (quality) music...
>
> There are WMA files AND normal music on the CD?
> Why would they do such crazy thing?

The .WMA files are for people to use on their computers,
the regular audio tracks are used when playing on an audio cd player.
They are both protected from copying. The WMA files have a signature
in them, and the audio tracks are supposedly protected from ripping
by using an abnormal table of contents. I'm sure it will prove
very easy to break either protection scheme. One gentleman named
in the article has already managed it using a mechanical technique.
It sounded like some driver changes would fix it as well.