[vorbis] PlusV

Gian-Carlo Pascutto gcp at sjeng.org
Thu Oct 18 10:28:13 PDT 2001

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Jack Moffitt wrote:

> > Doing the latter would immediately void
> > any patents they may have on the technology.
>
> No it wouldn't.  A patent can't be voided by a copyright infringement :)
>
> A patented would probably have to be voided by the patent office or by
> a court.

Thats not what I meant. If they publish their
stuff under GPL, they void their patents, as
far as I understand the relevant sections of it.

And as long as they dont publish under the GPL
or throw FFTW out they are comming copyright
infringement.

Relevant quote from GPL:

  Finally, any free program is threatened constantly by software
patents.  We wish to avoid the danger that redistributors of a free
program will individually obtain patent licenses, in effect making the
program proprietary.  To prevent this, we have made it clear that any
patent must be licensed for everyone's free use or not licensed at all.

If it's published under GPL, it's free to use for
anyone, which pretty much voids enforcing a patent.

--
GCP