[vorbis-dev] Re: [vorbis] Request for Standardization: classical music TAGS

Craig Dickson crdic at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 3 11:13:26 PDT 2001

Jonathan Walther wrote:

> Putting the conductor, pianist, and orchestra into the ARTIST tag is
> just horribly wrong.

But that mirrors the way people (well, maybe not classical snobs) think
of it: "Famous Pianist with Famous Orchestra conducted by Famous
Conductor". Surely you must be aware how common that sort of description
is. I've even seen it in classical music magazines.

> If that is the case, I stand corrected.  I've been looking for a decent
> C library that will take an XML entity and turn it into a link-list of
> strings or other associative mechanisms.  Can you refer me to something
> like that?  If the parsing code for XML is already written, theres a few
> projects I wouldn't mind using it for.

Check out the Expat library by Jim Clark. His website (jclark.com) has
the last stable version that he wrote; other people are currently
extending it for a new release, but I don't know how stable that is yet.
There are also C++ wrappers from a variety of sources, varying from just
"object-oriented Expat" to "Swiss-army-knife validating XML library that
just happens to use Expat for the core parsing logic".

Craig