[vorbis] Request for Standardization: classical music TAGS

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Tue Oct 2 16:55:49 PDT 2001

I disagree, it would be like this:

TITLE=Pictures at an Exhibition
MOVEMENT=Promenade
ALBUM=

The concept of "Album name" is alien to the classical record industry.
For classical recordings, I would recommend just not using the ALBUM
tag, unless it really was an album.  Best of Bach/Beethoven etc might
find the ALBUM tag useful.  The disc containing 3 canatatas by 3
different composers would suffer from an unbearably long album name
and insufferable redundancy if you were to conclude that "the names of
every piece on this disk taken together will form the ALBUM tag"

I like the ARRANGEMENT tag; lets please keep it.

I think its necessary to distinguish between ordinary solo performers,
"groups", and conductors.

Also, GENRE shouldn't be so overloaded.  If you want to use GENRE to
distinguish between classical and pop, fine.  But don't then go on to
also use GENRE to specify if the peice is a symphony, concerto, ballad,
or pop song.  Symphony isn't a "genre" anyway, its a specific type of
piece of music.

Jonathan

- --
Premature optimization is the root of all evil -- Knuth