[vorbis] Vorbis for PlayStation

Firelight Multimedia support at fmod.org
Mon Oct 1 13:44:18 PDT 2001

This is a totally different situation because sony dictate how many
people even get to be hobbyists.  *1000* were released,
(http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2085867,00.html), not an
unlimited supply, and sony can end it there.  Not exactly potential for
a huge following.  I was hoping there were some more serious ps2
developers here that actually would find ogg vorbis beneficial for their
games, obviously there are but it would be nice not to have to listen to
opinions of people who havent even heard of ee-gcc.
Anyway to get back *ON* topic, the ps2 vector units have the power to
speed up ogg vorbis by 2 or 3 times and possibly even decode
asynchronously with the EE cpu.  Saying any more would probably breach
some nda's so I'll shut up now :)
Brett

'vorbis-request at xiph.org'