[vorbis] Distributed ogg encoded

volsung at asu.edu volsung at asu.edu
Thu Nov 15 06:26:06 PST 2001

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Justin Graham wrote:

> I am building a small cluster out of some PCs I have laying around and I
> was wondering if anybody knew of an ogg encoder that could run
> distributed.  I know that the performance will most likely be less than
> my desktop machine but its just for fun.

With a distributed system, you would probably want to let each node have its
own file.  If you want to tinker, there is a system to do this using abcde and
distmp3 (both locatable on Freshmeat).  abcde will rip the tracks from CD and
send them through the network (lots of bandwidth!) to one of several nodes
running the distmp3 server, which sends back the compressed file when it
is done.  It probably wouldn't be too hard to adjust this system to produce
Ogg files instead.

---
Stan Seibert