[vorbis] Audio Section - Game Programming Gems 3

Alen Ladavac alen at croteam.com
Fri Nov 9 01:24:34 PST 2001

> >Ok, this might be completely off-track, and I am probably completely
wrong,
> >but I have a strange feeling in the back of my head.... Is that memory
usage
> >dependent on the size of the stream? Have you tried with very small
streams
> >(a few seconds) ? How exactly did you measure the memory usage? By
checking
> >difference before and after opening a decoder, or by calculating it
> >manually?
>
> No, he's right - libvorbis memory usage is pretty bad (compared to mp3,
> at least). For common cases it can be greatly reduced (with some
substantial
> work, though), though worst-case will probably still be like this.

Well, I'm not saying that he is wrong, I just wanted to know whether it is a
fixed amount, or does it have a variable part that is dependent on the
stream size.
Btw, since you seem to have some insights into this (I'm a bit ignorant on
the internals of Vorbis - I'm just calling the interface :))), can you
enlighten us as to what is that memory used for? Decoding buffers,
precalculated tables, stream info.... ?

Thanks,
Alen