[vorbis] What kind of Ogg Vorbis-services you would like to have?

volsung at asu.edu volsung at asu.edu
Mon Nov 5 08:52:35 PST 2001

On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Anna [iso-8859-1] Hämäläinen wrote:

> 	*Service shouldn't cost anything (or at least would be very cheap)for
> end-users. (It would be financed mostly by advertising)
>
> 	*Service should create value to you.
>
> 	*Service should be interesting and value-creating for others too!
>
> 	*It shouldn't break common ethical values
>
> 	*I don't want another Napster!
>
> 	*And most importantly service would somehow exploit Ogg Vorbis-format!
>
> 	*Service would be something new and innovative or something old but which
> is innovatively arranged to serve Ogg Vorbis-users.

I just want a plain, online radio service with several music channels that
meets the following criteria:

* Don't force me to use a stupid web interface if I already know what I want
to listen to (*cough* *cough* Spinner.com *cough*).  I want to be able to drop
a URL into ogg123 and be done with it.

* No DJ interruptions.  Local radio is annoying because DJs and stupid
listeners are constantly blabbing on the air.

* Audio advertising between songs is fine.  I wouldn't mind listening to 30
seconds of ads every 5 minutes or so.  Heck, embed URLs in the Vorbis comment
headers so I can click on them in my xterm and open them in my browser if I am
interested.  The option of removing the ads in exchange for payment would be
nice, but I don't know how listener authentication would work.

* Don't make me use Real or Windows Media.  (I know, you already said this was
going to be in Ogg format, but I include this for completeness.)

The basic premise here is that I want a service that provides me with content
(including ads for products and services that I might like), but does not
try to control me.

---
Stan Seibert