[vorbis] Vorbis 1.0 before the end of the year?

Maik Merten maikmerten at gmx.net
Sat Nov 3 11:22:52 PST 2001

James Ossi schrieb:

> Maik Merten wrote:
> >
> >  - true bitrate managment: Monty is working this (does he?). This
> >  - tuning for low-bitrate modes. This is necessary for
> >  - bitrate peeling! This is something unique and 1.0 should
> > I am sure there are even more things to do before 1.0!
> Sure.. these are all cool features.. but *how long* it takes to get
> them implemented? :-\

Not too long (I think/hope).

 - bitrate managment: AFAIK Monty already wrote most of the code

 - tuning for low-bitrate modes: Two and a half months ago Monty
   said:

   "What I'm trying to do is fill in 'key' modes, such
   that the bitrate management engine can fill in the modes between
   without manual intervention."

   If this feature is implemented time-expensive tuning shouldn´t
   be necessary anymore. Does anybody know more about it?

 - bitrate peeling: The RC3 encoder shouldn´t be too far away now,
   so in near future every new Vorbis file will be peelable. Even
   if the peeling tools would arrive some months after the 1.0 release
   this wouldn´t hurt too much...

> > Creative, Apple etc. may feel free to implement the RC2 decoder into
> > these babies.
> Sure.. but it's not a secret that they're all waiting for 1.0..
> I think even users like me wait for 1.0 before start encoding their
> CD collection.

I don´t think they are waiting for 1.0. They are waiting until
a sufficiently large number of their customers uses Vorbis. The
best way to achieve this is to release a mature, full featured
product.

bye,

Maik Merten

--