[vorbis] Participate in listening tests

ff123 miyaguch at eskimo.com
Thu Nov 1 19:01:15 PST 2001

Greg Wooledge wrote:

>ff123 (miyaguch at eskimo.com) wrote:
>
> > FRIEDMAN version 1.21 (Oct 16, 2001) http://ff123.net/
> > Blocked ANOVA analysis
>[...]
>
>Well.  Let me break this thundering silence and reveal my ignorance.
>Are there any online resources which explain the basic math behind
>this methodology?  (I tried, but sites I stumbled across all assumed
>a familiarity with the methodology, and merely showed how to apply it to
>special cases.)
>
> > mpc is better than wma8, xing
> > ogg is better than wma8, xing
>
>Shocking! ;-)

I don't know if it's the best site for explaining ANOVA, but here's one:

http://faculty.vassar.edu/lowry/webtext.html

Scroll down to chapter 13.

Without any math:  you can think of ANOVA as an extension of the
t-test.  The t-test is used to compare two means, and ANOVA is used to
compare multiple means.  Specifically, an ANOVA analysis attempts to answer
the question of whether any two means are significantly different from each
other.  That is a very limited question, though, and the subsequent
analysis (Fisher LSD) attempts to separate the means if the ANOVA proves to
be significant.

The actual method I will use in the final analysis will probably not be
ANOVA, however.  I am using it now because it is convenient and quick, but
it assumes things which may not be true, such as normal distribution of
listener population.  I will probably switch to a resampling-based method
of analyzing the data once more participants have submitted results.  But
that statistical method also uses much more computing power (it takes hours
on my Celeron 800).

ff123