[vorbis] Residue bit usage, library incompatibilities

Matthew Reppert repp0017 at tc.umn.edu
Wed Nov 21 17:08:40 PST 2001

I've been using the rc2 releases of Vorbis for a while now. I've been
in the process of making digital copies of a bunch of my music, and I
keep getting this "residue bit usage" message when oggenc finishes. I'm
trying to encode data from an audio CD at 160bps, and it always seems
to get booted back down to ~128 bps with this residue bit ussage
message. Again, I'm using the rc2 libvorbis, libogg, and vorbis-tools,
with the libao 0.8 available from the download area on xiph.org. The
beta4 libraries don't do this. Is this -supposed- to happen, or some odd
sort of bug?

To get around this, I'd just roll back to the beta4 releases of
everything, but beta4 tends to report zero bitrates, infinite
lengths, and ridiculously large negative-number playtimes from files
encoded using rc2.

Thanks,
Matt