[vorbis] Multichannel files

David Balazic david.balazic at uni-mb.si
Fri Nov 16 00:42:56 PST 2001

Wilson (defiler at null.net) wrote :

Please CC replies to my private email ( click REPLY-ALL or something like that )

A quote from the page :
"The Digital out/Center-subwoofer can, just like the Live 5.1 card,
be used for either digital output or when in analog mode as the
center/subwoofer output."

This page says that it is either :
- digital out put
- a combined analog center/subwoofer output. It is a stereo connector.
  One channel is the Center and the other is the subwoofer.

> In other words, it doesn't do what we need. All the SB cards are geared

Yes it does.

> toward 5.1 output via S/PDIF / Whatever to a receiver/decoder.

Wrong, obviously.

> > > Most people don't have them. Doing real 5.1 output from the PC without a
> > > receiver that locks you into Dolby Digital is either expensive (full
> pre/pro
> > > combo)
> >
> > There was a surround amplifier available for 1000 ATS in Austria recently.
> > That is cca. 64 USD. It has 4(6) analog inputs and can drive four speakers
> > ( it has 4 amplifiers ). You need another normal 2 channel amplifier to
> get
> > an 5.1 setup. I believe it also has a Dolby ProLogic decoder, but that is
> not
> > of interest to us. Is has about 50 Watts power per speaker.
>
> I meant expensive for quality equal to a cheap 5.1 receiver. I don't mean to
> insult a $64 amp, so I won't say anything about it. :)

See below "about expensive"

> > Or you could use 3 normal stereo amplifiers. I also believe most newer
> "movie"
> > or AV amplifiers have 6 channel analog input too.
>
> Yes, many do have 6 analog channels.. Again, the trick is getting 6-channel
> analog output from your PC.
> Also, these things are expensive.

See below "about expensive"

> > > or rare (analog 5.1 multimedia speakers with LFE management. Hard to
> > > come by.)
> >
> > Creative/Cambridge SoundWorks DeskTop TheaterT 5.1 DTT2200 : 128 euro ~=
> 112 USD
> > It about 156USD in Slovenia.
> >

> The DTT2200 does not offer 6 discrete channels. Yes, it accepts analog

Yes, it does.

> inputs, but not 6 of them. Thus, you don't have a true center channel or LFE.

Yes, it does. Yes, you have.

> Here's a (crappy) photo of the connector panel I found on the net. See? The
> DTT2200 appears to generate a matrixed center channel from the left and
> right channels.
> http://www.tech-gods.com/reviews/227/busysub.jpg

On page 11 ( eleven ) of the DT2200 manual ( available at
ftp://ftp.europe.creative.com/pub/online_library/speakers/DTT2200_Users_Guide/English.pdf )
it is clear that it has 6 analog inputs.

> > It can be bought in any computer shop.
> >
> > > To play a multi-channel Ogg file through a receiver, the receiver would
> have
> > > to directly support Ogg, and the sound card drivers would have to
> support
> > > pushing the Ogg through Toslink or S/PDIF. An alternative is to
> transcode
> > > the Ogg output on the fly into AC-3 for transport, but then we're not
> > > patent-free anymore.
> >
> > Just decode to 6 independent channels and send them thru the analog
> outputs
> > of the 5.1 sound card.
> >
> > Now if someone wrote a program that uses 4 four channels of my AudioPCI
> and
> > the 2 of the on-board sound to get 5.1 , that would be cool :-)
> >

> Yes, that would be cool. Just get two "4 speaker" sound cards, and you'd
> support all 6 speakers. Not exactly a mainstream concept, though.

As volsung said , synchronization is a problem. Maybe checking the position
( most card support sample accurate position report of the current played sample,
AFAIK ) and dropping samples on the faster DAC ?
It is probably a difficult to solve problem, because everyone is avoiding it
like the plague :-)

About expensive :

What are you complaining about ? What is expensive , compared to what ?
A DT2200 speaker + a Live! Player 5.1 is about 180 USD. That is very cheap
for a 5.1 system if you ask me. It is maybe not hi-fi , but a single hi-fi
speaker costs that much and you need 6 of them ! And an amplifier ( 100 USD
minimum ).

--
David Balazic