[vorbis] Multichannel files

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Thu Nov 15 02:05:01 PST 2001

At 10:26 AM 11/15/01 +0100, you wrote:
>On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 12:46:32 +1100, Michael Smith wrote:
>
>>Oggenc will happily encode multi-channel wav files, though it doesn't merge
>>multiple files for you.
>>
>>However, two caveats:
>> 1) Decoders. I don't think anyone deals with this right, yet.
>> 2) Channel mappings - we haven't defined a way to do this, yet. So all you
>>    have is N independent channels, the file won't say that one is front-
>>    left, one front-right, one centre, etc.
>
>could you add channel mappings for
>
>a) ambisonics: w-x-y-z channels
>b) 5.1 surround

Well, once we have decided on a way to do channel mappings, adding specific
mappings should be pretty straightforward - but we don't have a defined
mechanism for definition of these channel mappings. We should probably
try to do this some time soon, it'd be nice to have this for 1.0 if we
can.

Monty, where would you see this sort of channel definition fitting into
the format?

Michael