[vorbis] Re: [vorbis-dev] Audio Section - Game Programming Gems 3

Alen Ladavac alen at croteam.com
Thu Nov 8 03:39:33 PST 2001

Scott,

How detailed would this need to be? I think that this probably doesn't need
to explain the backgrounds of vorbis encoding/decoding.
In my opinion, the sole notion that a free and open standard for lossy audio
(de)compression exists, can rock the foundations of todays in-game music
playing. Vorbis has not yet caught firm roots in gamedev industry just
because _almost no one knows it exists_!

If an article about vorbis appeared in such a popular book, it would mean a
lot. Perhaps it doesn't need to go into explaining the vorbis itself much,
but more into explaining how to use it in a game, what are common
traps'n'pitfalls when using it in an interactive application that is
CPU-usage
sensitive, etc.

Now, I don't have much free time lately, but if no one else feels like doing
the article, I'll volunteer because I think that Vorbis deserves it. :o)

Alen

--
Alen Ladavac, Lead Programmer, Croteam
email: alen at croteam.com    web: http://www.croteam.com