[vorbis] Adding a --version option to vorbiscomment

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Wed Nov 7 09:18:11 PST 2001

> ...all programs that use GNU's getopt(), which supports
> --long-options, perhaps. It is arguable whether all programs in the
> world should use that, though... I can think of many cases in which
> one would want to avoid that, most obvious of which is aversion to
> GPL taint... also, programs with no real commandline interface...
>
> Just a word against sweeping GNU/Linux-centric statements. :)

Putting 'taint' and 'GPL' in the same sentence is also a sweeping
statement.

There are bsd licensed getopts.  Adding a --version option does not
require you to use the GPL.

And I believe teh sentiment is that all programs should have a way to
query their version from the commandline if a commandline is available.

jack.