[fairly off-topic] Re: [vorbis] Are AMDs preferable? [was: Choosing a processor]

Sylvain OBEGI katios at nolabel.net
Tue May 29 13:21:54 PDT 2001

Hello
I'm new to this list and I subscribed because I'm interested in the vorbis
format and now, I have (finally) something to say :-)
I work for a French AMD-oriented website, and even if I never had troubles
with VIA Chipsets (I have one for K7 and one for P2), some bugs have been
discovered in the past weeks.
But not all the chipsets are affected, and these bugs gained a big coverage
because Via is now the leader in chipset market. (Just a precision about SB
Live! problem : the Live! card is an excellent card when we talk about
sounds, but this card is a big shit when we talk about compatibility,
stability, reliability so I don't think honestly Via is the only faulty
company in this case)
Via chipset are used because there are (or, at least were) the best in terms
of performance. In the Intel side : only Intel and Via have good chipsets,
but Intel is now limited to Rambus, Via isn't, so Via provides DDR-enabled
chipset. In the AMD side : there is AMD, who never wanted to be a chipset
vendor, and so who make chipset in waiting for new good chipsets (eg from
Via), and there is VIA...
But, it seems that the next Sis chipset is a very good performer againt the
others (Via, AMD, Ali), so, if Sis make good drivers, this chipset may be
the solution.
May this help you

Sylvain OBEGI
Email : katios at nolabel.net
www.vtr-hardware.com - sylvain at vtr-hardware.com
ICQ : 661913

PS : sorry for my pooooooooooooor english ;-)