[vorbis] (lame) mp3 vs oggvorbis (review)

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at EUnet.yu
Fri May 25 07:20:44 PDT 2001

"Karol Pietrzak" <noodlez84 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> a comparison between the two formats can be read at
> http://www.digit-life.com/articles/oggvslame/index.html .  i
> first heard of this from Vorbis Extreme (
> http://solair.eunet.yu/~aldov/ ).
> anyone see any problems with the review?

What's the problem, when Vorbis won at 128 & 160 kbps? ;-)

Seriously, I think it's rather good, although he didn't do any
blind listening tests, which is the way to go so that you can
be sure that your mind isn't playing tricks on you. There are
lots of graphs mostly used for looking at the bandwidth, but I
think that signal subtraction comparison isn't useful at all.

Also he doesn't mention whether he used joint-stereo with
MP3 because this can have noticeable impact on quality
at lower/mid bitrates like 128 & 160. I guess he had used
joint-stereo, and since Vorbis won without joint-stereo,
this means that the difference will be even bigger once
Vorbis gets joint-stereo. :-)

Oh, and LAME isn't license free because MP3 is covered
with patents. Vorbis is patent-free, and that
is the most important difference between Vorbis and
MP3, everything else is secondary.

Greetings,
Aleksandar