[vorbis] audio mumbo-jumbo

Jack Moffitt jack at icecast.org
Thu May 24 08:56:07 PDT 2001

> 	Can someone *please* help me out in finding some good starting
> placing to learning the basics of what I will need to know for developing
> a *very simple* audio player?

The first place to start is probably how to get sound to play on your
computer.  If you're using linux, then I suggest you read the OSS
documentation which should get you up and running fairly soon.  You
could also try the libsdl audio examples at www.libsdl.org.  Both are
fairly easy.

Once you can make noise and play raw audio, you just have to figure out
how to get vorbis to decode and hand you the things that you know how to
play.  There are plenty of examples of this in the distribution, as well
as in the vorbisfile documentation.

Or if you're really brave, you could try writing something with libao :)
But I suggest starting with something that has more documentation
available.

Oh, and if you're a python programmer, you can try the vorbis/ao python
bindings.  I believe Andrew has provided an example that is basically a
simple player.  I remember getting playback using pyao being trivial.

You'll probably want to ask future questions in vorbis-dev if they start
getting more in depth.

jack.