[vorbis] SoX support

Beni Cherniavsky scben at techst02.technion.ac.il
Mon May 21 07:02:35 PDT 2001

On Mon, 21 May 2001 volsung at asu.edu wrote:

> For those of you who want to be able to decode Ogg Vorbis files into other
> formats, SoX (the swiss army knife of audio programs) now has Ogg Vorbis
> support in CVS.  It can read Ogg Vorbis files and export the audio in any
> format SoX supports.  You can also write Ogg Vorbis with it, but, because of
> limitations in the design of SoX, only output at 128kbps is supported.

Peaked at the source.  As I understrand it the problem is that the sox
interface has no way to pass extra info to the handlers.  A possible
solution I see would be to use values from an envornment variable:

etenv SOX_VORBIS_MIN_RATE=90
setenv SOX_VORBIS_RATE=112
setenv SOX_VORBIS_MAX_RATE=160

Or maybe having the options in one variable is better (less pollution).

--
Beni Cherniavsky <cben at crosswinds.net>
                 (also scben at t2,cben at tx in Technion)

10001110111100111100001001010 m/s