[vorbis] Re: ogg123 and stdout

Kenneth Arnold ken at arnoldnet.net
Sat May 5 18:50:50 PDT 2001

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 10:44:16AM +0200, smoerk at gmx.de wrote:
> also a command line tool for playing and decoding with stdin support
> could be very useful.
>
> wget -O - http://server:8000/stream.ogg | player

I use curl for that purpose, plus buffer, e.g.:

curl http://server:port/stream.ogg | buffer | ogg123 -

curl just looks prettier on output, not to mention you can stream from
just about anything (got an ogg on an LDAP server, anyone? Gopher?),
and buffer helps a lot for me on 28.8... that said, I still haven't
gotten much of any of the many test streams posted to the list to play
for more than a few seconds due to my low bandwidth.

I was working on libcurl streaming for ogg123 a while back and had it
almost to a usable point but then I got caught up in other things and
haven't gotten back to it. In about a month I'll be bored silly, so
expect a bit more from me ;)

--
Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net> / kcarnold / Linux user #180115
http://arnoldnet.net/~kcarnold/

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/pgp-signature attachment: stored
</UL>