[vorbis] Lossless/lossy hybrid?

Wilson defiler at null.net
Thu May 31 13:00:43 PDT 2001

DVD-Audio: Sampling rates - 44.1, 48.0, 88.2, 96.0, 176.4 and 192.0 kHz, 16,
20 or 24 bits. PCM format.
SACD:  Freaky "DSD" (Direct Stream Digital) format, rather than PCM. I'll
quote a Phillips page, since I don't really understand the details of this
new format:
"DSD is a revolutionary process based on 1-bit sigma-delta modulation, and
operates with a sampling frequency of 2.8224 MHz."
I gather that this makes it capable of an arbitrary number of channels, and
roughly 100KHz of sampling rate.
They also spout some marketing-speak about "better time resolution" and "low
pass filters" that removed roadblocks that "fundamentally degrade
traditional PCM audio."
Basically, there's not a lot of free technical info on SACD out there right
now. You can create DVD-Audio compatible PCM WAV files in any decent audio
application, like Sound Forge.