[vorbis] Lossless/lossy hybrid?

fungus spam at egg.chips.and.spam.com
Thu May 31 11:53:55 PDT 2001

Aleksandar Dovnikovic wrote:

> Anyway, just figured I'd share. Lossy is still lossy...
> it HAS to sound different.

Sampling at 44Khz, 16 bits is "lossy". CDs are noticably
worse than vinyl on a good setup.

The CD was designed with 70's technology in mind as is
really *only just* good enough for music, both in terms
of frequency response and dynamic range. 96Khz at 24
bits is a lot more like it.

I expect the new super CDs will sound a lot better than
the normal ones. If the RIAA wants to do something about
Napster then they should be pushing the move to this new
format and touting the quality benefits.

--
<\___/>
/ O O \