AW: [vorbis] Are AMDs preferable? [was: Choosing a processor]

Dan Hollis goemon at anime.net
Wed May 30 21:13:39 PDT 2001

On Thu, 31 May 2001, fungus wrote:
> Dan Hollis wrote:
> > Keep in mind the P4 is not Intel's new performance line;
> > Intel intends the P4 to replace the celeron!!
> > Intel's "high performance" and "server" processor lines
> > remain the Xeon and P3.
> I checked Intel's web site but I couldn't find where
> they said that....
> http://www.intel.com/procs/perf/pentium4/
> I only see something which says "great performance increase
> for compute intensive software".

They didnt explicitly state it, but it's how they're marketing it and all
the benchmarks indicate thats where the P4 is being targeted.

http://www.intel.com/intel/product/index.htm

Intel Processors -> Desktop Processors (P4/P3/Celeron/P2)
                 -> Server Processors (Itanium/Xeon/P3 Xeon/P2 Xeon)

P4 isnt a server processor, and Intel isnt marketing it to be one.
The P3 architecture continues to be Intel's performance line.
The Xeon is basically P3 with bigger cache to help SMP.
Note the P2 Xeon is marketed as a server processor, but not the P4!

-Dan