[vorbis] Lossless/lossy hybrid?

Josh Coalson j_coalson at yahoo.com
Wed May 30 12:31:51 PDT 2001

--- Aleksandar Dovnikovic <aldov at EUnet.yu> wrote:
> Monkey's Audio lossless compressor (currently win32 only, free but
> not
> open-source except decoder) author is thinking to implement a kind of
> audiophile-quality lossy compression which would filter "noise bits"
> that
> are hard to encode lossless but which are (or should be) inaudible
> and thus
> improve lossless compression (avg. 300-450kbps). I think that
> implementing
> something like this in future OggSquish could be very interesting for
> people
> who want very high-quality but are unsatisfied with lossless
> compression
> ratios.

I replied on that board how the method he is proposing just injects
quantization noise, and that a good perceptual codec should sound
less noisy at the same bitrate, and that Shorten already does this
and I don't know that people use it.

People are making pretty wild claims about quality there but it has
a religious sound to it.  I guess if you are less sensitive to noise
than other kinds of artifacts (like pre-echo) maybe it could be
better.

Josh