[vorbis] Are AMDs preferable? [was: Choosing a processor]

Frank Heckenbach frank at g-n-u.de
Tue May 29 13:38:42 PDT 2001

Segher Boessenkool wrote:

> > It's possible the newest batch of chipsets are better. Most of the
> > problems I ran into were related to IRQ-sharing, btw.
>
> As far as I understand, the problems only happen with _some_ VIA
> chipsets, and not the better ones.  These problems have been fixed
> in the newer revisions, and there's a workaround implemented in the
> winxx drivers; unfortunately, VIA doesn't release the errata to the
> public, so linux has some trouble implementing equivalent workarounds.

Things like these make me really angry. My VIA board has a serious
bug with DMA, and apparently because they didn't release the errata,
it took Linux quite some time to get a workaround. In the meantime I
was forced to use non-DMA mode which was very slow and any serious
HD access would disturbe the sound card (which made recording
especially difficult).

The problems are solved now and DMA works stable in 2.4, but I won't
ever buy VIA again, even if this means I have to get Intel rather
than AMD.

Frank

Frank Heckenbach, frank at g-n-u.de
http://fjf.gnu.de/