[vorbis] Are AMDs preferable? [was: Choosing a processor]

Segher Boessenkool segher at chello.nl
Tue May 29 12:39:15 PDT 2001

> It's possible the newest batch of chipsets are better. Most of the
> problems I ran into were related to IRQ-sharing, btw.

As far as I understand, the problems only happen with _some_ VIA
chipsets, and not the better ones.  These problems have been fixed
in the newer revisions, and there's a workaround implemented in the
winxx drivers; unfortunately, VIA doesn't release the errata to the
public, so linux has some trouble implementing equivalent workarounds.

The IRQ sharing is a totally separate issue; if you have a broken
BIOS, it won't route the APIC correctly, so you have to boot linux with
the "noapic" commanline (lilo) flag.

Oh, and VIA is not the only manufacturer of Athlon chipsets, and certainly
not the best.

Cheers,

Segher