[vorbis] Are AMDs preferable? [was: Choosing a processor]

Segher Boessenkool segher at chello.nl
Tue May 29 11:16:52 PDT 2001

Joane Lispton wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> On a related not, I think I read in the mailing-list archives that the
> Pentium III wasn't "ideal" for .ogg operations; are AMD's processors more
> appropriate/do they perform better?

They are somewhat better, as they are less sensitive to instruction
scheduling, which means the code will run fast even if the compiler didn't
do that good a job (and it doesn't).  But any x86 cpu is severly limited
by its tiny register set and the weird fpu stack thingy.  You better get
yourself something non-x86 if you like _real_ good performance.  And
you said you only want to run linux on it; well, linux runs on virtually
anything, so that's no problem then :-)

Dagdag,

Segher