[vorbis] wishlist for ogg123 += Non-blocking verbose messages

Andreas Fuchs asf at acm.org
Tue May 29 09:42:31 PDT 2001

Hi,

I am using the ogg123 player through an emacs interface to mpg123 I
patched up to support ogg123 (shameless plug, see
http://asf.void.at/emacs.html). This has a problem (apart from it being
emacs, which might offend some of you (-:):

The verbose output from ogg123 is collected and inserted into a
temporary buffer. This works when emacs has nothing else to do, but
fails when it blocks. Then, the stderr file descriptor is not read and
therefore, not flushed. This is, as you can see, a bad thing, because it
blocks the player and produces skips (This also is why you can also stop
the player by pressing Control-s at the console, when debugging output
is on).

I don't think that the unavailability of a file descriptor should stop
ogg123 from playing sounds. AFAICT, it is possible to use the stderr
stream in nonblocking mode, which should give ogg123 greater tolerance
to such errors. How hard is it to do that? I would really like to see
this bug (is it a bug? I think so...) fixed in ogg123.

Thanks,

--
Andreas Fuchs, <asf at acm.org>, <d96001 at htlwrn.ac.at>, antifuchs

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/pgp-signature attachment: stored
</UL>