[vorbis] bitrate peeling question

Beni Cherniavsky scben at techst02.technion.ac.il
Tue May 29 00:09:15 PDT 2001

On Mon, 28 May 2001, Maik Merten wrote:

> Geoff Shang schrieb:
> >
> > Hi:
> >
> > A friend asked me a question that I was unable to answer, so I'm posting it
> > here.
> >
> > Can files created by the beta4 encoder be peeled down when that becomes
> > available, or is the ability to encode peelable files also not implemented?
> > My friend wants to know if they should switch over now or hold off until
> > this becomes possible.
> >
> > Geoff.
>
> Hello Geoff,
>
> beta4 files can be peeled down, but quality would not be perfect.
>
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2001 Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>
> GM > Yes, you could do it with the files you produce today. But, the
> results
> GM > would be sub-optimal because the encoder doesn't expect you to be
> doing such
> GM > a thing. In the future the encoder will produce output which is a
> bit
> GM > differnt (cascaded codebooks) so it can express to the bitrate
> peeling
> GM > utility what information it can throw away first.
>
> At the time being there are no peeling tools anyway - but I am no
> developer
> so I could have missed something...

Will it be possible (theoretically, assume someone is willing to write it)
to take already encoded beta4 (older too?) files and recode them to use
cascaded codebooks losslessly, without doing a full decode&encode, so that
they can be optimally peeled later?

--
Beni Cherniavsky <cben at crosswinds.net>
                 (also scben at t2,cben at tx in Technion)

10001110111100111100001001010 m/s