[vorbis] Java?

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Sun May 27 23:29:40 PDT 2001

At 12:14 PM 5/28/01 +1200, you wrote:
>Is it currently possible for oggvorbis to be decoded in Java? By that I
>mean, is it possible without *me* having to do the porting :)

There's a pure-java 'port' of the decode side of libvorbis called JOrbis -
it isn't always kept up to date, but I believe the author tries to track
libvorbis changes after releases. Apparently works pretty well.

If you need something that runs at a reasonable speed, it'd be pretty easy
to write JNI code to connect libvorbis to java, but then your java isn't
as portable (in that it requires recompiling on each new platform - libvorbis
itself probably runs on more platforms than java does).

Michael