[vorbis] artifact bug status? / compiling under OpenBSD 2.8

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Fri May 11 10:06:39 PDT 2001

Hi!

On March 17th I posted a message on this list concerning an artifact bug
in beta4 that is audible in all available bitrates. It was this rumbling
sound in the bass area. I made a demo clip, which still is available at
http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~us87/ogg/vorbis_bassrumble_demo.rar
and that contains both the original .WAV and an .OGG @ 350kbps. This
archive is 2.1 MB large.

Today, I finally managed to compile the CVS snapshot under Linux and
found that this bug is still there, so I'm now humbly asking whether
this is somewhere on the to-do list or whether it has been forgotten, if
I should put it into this bugzilla system, etc.? I'd be happy to help in
any possible way (unfortunately this excludes coding, and I haven't got
the faintest idea what might cause this bug :-/).

Second thing is, I failed to compile both beta4 and the CVS snapshot
under OpenBSD 2.8. This starts at libao.

Compiling libao-0.6.0:

./configure finished without any error messages

make gives me the warning "inter-library dependencies are not known to
be supported. [...]" while executing ../../../libtool in esd, but it
continues. Later, in arts, I get the following:

gcc -DPACKAGE=\"libao\" -DVERSION=\"0.6.0\" -DSIZEOF_SHORT=2
-DSIZEOF_INT=4 -DSIZEOF_LONG=4 -I. -I. -I.. -I../include -O20
-D__NO_MATH_INLINES -fsigned-char -DAO_PLUGIN_PATH=\"/usr/local/lib/ao\"
-c audio_out.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o audio_out.lo
audio_out.c: In function `_get_plugin':
audio_out.c:66: `RTLD_NOW' undeclared (first use in this function)
audio_out.c:66: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
audio_out.c:66: for each function it appears in.)
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/OGG_Vorbis/libao-0.6.0/src.
[snip]

This is a little confusing, because I don't have arts installed and
configure said "checking for artsc-config... no". Btw, I searched the
list archives and found the same problem there already, but I couldn't
find the solution. Please tell me a date to look after, if it's been
there already. Thanks!

Compiling ao/ from the CVS snapshot:

autogen.sh also finished, but I get the following warnings:

configure.in: 26: required file `./ltconfig' not found
configure.in:92: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling
configure.in:93: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling
configure.in:94: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling

Under Linux, I had to manually create a symlink to
/usr/lib/libtool/ltconfig in order to get configure to work, after that
everything worked and I could compile libao. Strange, but under OpenBSD
there is no ltconfig, although I installed libtool the same way as under
Linux. Then:

# make
Making all in src
"Makefile", line 328: Need an operator
Fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/OGG_Vorbis/ao (line 178 of Makefile).

I found it might be useful to try the symlink thing again. I found a
ltconfig in /usr/src/bind-9.1.1rc7/ so I made a symlink there and ran
autogen.sh again. :) The first warning disappeared and autogen.sh
finished, but make shows the same results as above.

Finally, some explanations: The computer I want this to be compiled on
is my gateway, running OpenBSD. It doesn't have a soundcard, all I need
/ would like to have is oggenc so I can feed it with a couple of .WAV
files that it can encode over night. I don't need anything else, so if
there are any command line parameters that disable the checking for the
sound systems and that let it compile, please tell me. I searched all
the directories and xiph.org for some documentation on compiling these
libraries, without success. So if I can get this to work under OpenBSD
with your help, I'd write a mini-howto to help others that have the same
problems. (Remember, I can't fix any code, so if I get this to work
eventually, everybody else should be able, too. :) )

If there is no way to compile it under OpenBSD because the code isn't
portable enough (yet?), please let me know ... so I can stop whacking my
head on my desk and just live with it. :)

Moritz