[vorbis] Amplify Ogg files without decode/encode

David Balazic david.balazic at uni-mb.si
Fri May 11 07:13:09 PDT 2001

> Just curious, is it possible to amplify Ogg frames without a decode/encode
> cycle? I usually normalise before encoding all recordings for my radio
> station, but I obtain some music from 3rd parties and it often need
> normalising. I find this ability very useful for MP3s and it would be a big
> handicap to me if Ogg can not.

Add a comment into the ogg file :

VOLUME_ADJUST=1.3

Add this line in the decoder/player ( preferable at a point
where the samples are in floating point format ) :

ample_value *= VOLUME_ADJUST ;

Finished !

It requires changes in the player/decoder though :

- parsing the comments
- the line above

Off course you also need an app to measure the song volume and recommend
an adjustment, but that can also be done by hand ...

--
David Balazic