[vorbis] Amplify Ogg files without decode/encode

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Fri May 11 04:17:03 PDT 2001

>> As for your other suggestion of allowing one to ignore n samples at the
>> start/end of the stream, this exists already (and has for a long time).
>> vcut is a tool which adjusts these for specific purposes - libvorbis uses
>> them when decoding, of course.
>
>I skimmed it and it looks like it only allows you to cut on (Vorbis) packet
>boundaries.  I was thinking of something that would let you say "ignore the
>first 53 samples in this packet" without having to reencode anything.

That's exactly what it DOES let you do, which is what I was saying.
You can't do it for any arbitrary packet - only for packets in the first
audio page or the last page. However, since the format allows you to chain
logical streams, that's actually sufficient to allow arbitrary sample-level
editing of the stream (vcut implements the hard bits of this, but doesn't
give you a useful UI or anything like that ;)

Michael