[vorbis] Coding technologies

Jan.Tangring at et.se Jan.Tangring at et.se
Wed May 9 01:38:17 PDT 2001

I made an interview yesterday with Lars Liljeryd of Coding
technologies, the company defining MP3PRO, the new version of MP3 due
to be released by Thompson in a demo version this summer.

I wonder if there is anyone on this list who can put what he told me
in a bigger perspective? Several interesting issues came up, but most
interesting of course is the method the company is using to add high
frequency content to a narrow-band encoding.

Sorry, I don't know the details, cause Liljeryd wouldn't give the
full story. And I didn't understand all he told me either ...

As I understood it SBR can be added to any of the music compression
codings in use today. MP3PRO is SBR added to MP3 and AAC+ is SBR
added to AAC. AAC+ is already being manufactured in silicon by some
secret party.

Essentially as I understood it SBR guesses the high frequencies from
the lower frequencies. This is an idea of Liljeryds dating back to
about 1997.

-- Nobody had thought of the possibility of there being redundancy in
the frequency domain, says Liljeryd.

- Could you, by analyzing the lower band recreate a higher band that
looks about the same as the original?

-- I turned out to be possible, not in the technical, mathematical
sense, but psychoacoustically.

I associated the reasoning to the exciter effect which used to be
popular in recordings. And what do you know, Liljeryd has an old
patent on an exciter. But on the other hand, he told med SBR has
nothing to do with the exciter. On the other hand he says he thinks
SBR could be used to build a very good exciter ...

Liljeryd has patents in the SBR area, but the way I understood it,
also from the interview, patenting issues in this domain are muddy
waters to say the least.

So I wonder, do other irrelevancy coding technologies work along the
same lines as Coding technologies? Specifically Ogg vorbis of course,
are you incorporating something SBR-like?

I got to listen to it and it sounded real nice -- though I am not a
professional listener. Of course Coding technologies do make proper
double blind listening tests with both professional and layman ears.
And the pro's have OK:d it, so ... it works.

--
-- Jan Tangring, reporter Datateknik 3.0 (www.datateknik30.se)