[vorbis] live streaming

smoerk at gmx.de smoerk at gmx.de
Wed May 2 06:36:59 PDT 2001

>Can the Ogg Vorbis program be used to stream live audio
>over the Internet?

yes, it's possible. you need the icecast2 streaming server (see
i.cantcode.com/~jack/icecast.html). do you use windows or unix for
encoding?

>Put another way, can Ogg Vorbis doe what "Real Audio"
>does, but without the onerous restrictions?

RealAudio has to advantages: multirate streams and better quality with
very low bitrates. this will change in the future, because the
ogg/vorbis specifications supports bitrate peeling (something like
progressive jpeg for audio) and the audio quality will improve (the
encoder is optimized only for 44.1khz sample rate, but this will
change).

also most of the players have problems with live streaming, I think
this is the biggest problem.

But this is just a matter of time, ogg/vorbis tools are getting better
and better :).