[vorbis] why does it sound so strange

Dave Phillips dlphilp at bright.net
Sat Mar 17 10:06:53 PST 2001

Smörk wrote:

> what makes the stream at http://ogg.radiostudio.org:8007/ostream.ogg
> sound so strange. I don't complain, I just want to know the reason for
> this (is this pre-echo?).

Well, at 11 kHz the music isn't likely to be well-translated, but the
vocals come out okay. That's at least in keeping with what I understand
about digital audio. I notice that certain instruments are more affected
than others: for instance, what I'm hearing now has a terrible sound on
the guitar (or keyboard?), but the vocals, the bass, and the drums all
come across unaffected.

Perhaps this is a bitrate tuning issue ?

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        The Linux Soundapps Site at http://sound.condorow.net