[vorbis] Some comments about beta4

Segher Boessenkool segher at chello.nl
Fri Mar 16 08:01:32 PST 2001

Monty wrote:

> > Look forward to it. My recent speedups are not in CVS yet, I think.
> > They need some cleanup before Monty will accept them.
>
> They're not there only due to my own business.  I'm not holding them

Well, I didn't send you half of it yet... When I sent you the stuff,
I told you it was a "technology preview" (har har); no consideration to
roundoff errors, boundary cases etc. went into it. I just wanted to know
if these particular optimizations would be accepted into libvorbis.

> back due to unworthiness, but hosedness and a desire to be careful
> with one or two of them.

Nah, I'll do my own work. You have enough on your hands already...

> BTW, Segher, I like that IEEE float LSP lookup hack more every time I
> look at it.  I think I might actually make that basic technique the
> authoritative method of doing the last stage of computation (I'll have
> to choose the specific lookup table parameters carefully though ;-)

It actually gives more precise results than the "exact" computation.
Now _that_ is a fortunate side effect :-)

Cheers,

Segher