[vorbis] Real bitrate management engine?

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at eunet.yu
Thu Mar 15 14:14:36 PST 2001

Monty mentioned this during some discussions on r3mix.net forum a
while ago, so I'm wondering - will this be implemented in the next
beta? I was doing some listening test and to my ears there isn't
much of a difference between -b192 and -b256. It's just that
with -b192 there's more pre-echo in some songs and that
pre-echo disappears in -b256 mode so it would be stupid to
use -b256 only to avoid couple of artifacts just because these
modes act more like ABR. I don't mind if the bitrate has to
go considerably above 192kbps (when using -b192) with
certain clips if that is necessary to avoid pre-echo or some
other kind of artifact...

Greetings,
Aleksandar