[vorbis] Comment field spec needs to be expanded and tightened

Beni Cherniavsky scben at techst02.technion.ac.il
Sun Mar 11 01:59:21 PST 2001

On Fri, 9 Mar 2001, Bacchus 13 wrote:

> [snip]
> cannot understand each other).  So, format itself should be open.  What
> we need is efficient comment editors that satisfy our various needs -
> i.e. comment editors which allow us to use various languages, various
> calendars, various fields.

Good point.  Didn't think about this.

> I think this tendency will be getting common in Vorbis project.  The
> latest programs are released for linux as developers are using this OS
> (Many of them are highly customisable but not quite beginner friendly).
>  After that, they will be adopted into the more popular and commercial
> OS such as Mac and Windows through individual programmers or private
> companies.  Some programmers seem to be already working on Winamp plug-in
> for Vorbis with comment editors as you can see from the list.  So, what
> you are telling about 'the guidelines promoting common usage' will be
> decided in this phase of adaptation.  I wonder if someone will make a
> comment editor that can translate Jewish dates to Gregorian ones, though...
> ;-)

How about an Emacs mode for Vorbis comment editing?  Emacs' calendar
handles even Maya's dates :-)  Is there any emacs interface to ID3's?  I
suppose it will appear one day, probably integrated into a player
interface from Emacs...  Somebody that uses Emacs as his OS, window
system and desktop environment will write it one day...

--
Beni Cherniavsky <cben at crosswinds.net>
                 (also scben at t2,cben at tx in Technion)

10001110111100111100001001010 m/s