[vorbis] Winamp plugin.

Aaron Porter aaron at javasource.org
Wed Mar 7 21:32:53 PST 2001

> ever use streaming.  Unfortunatly this is a bit sloppy.  It might be
> possible to only initialize the http code if you are going to use a stream
> but that may not be an allowed behavior of a socket.  To initialize ever
> time you run a stream that is.  Aaron, Michael, Chris, is it possible or
> just a bad idea?  ;-)

It would be trivial to hold off on initializing sockets until they're
needed. It's been a while since I've seen a machine without TCP/IP support
so I didn't even consider it. :-)

I'll just send the relevant changes to Matt as I'm sure his source is more
recent than mine.

> Unreleated issue:  I get an even worse problem when I try to start a
> streamed file with no internet connection.  Winamp freezes up completely
and
> I have to shut it down.  I'll be looking at both of these things in the
days
> to come.  Aaron, this is a bug that I recently found, although it may just
> be something with my system.

hmmmm.... I would guess it is hanging at gethostbyname. gethostbyname
doesn't have a timeout option. :-( It looks like the only option is to move
all socket requests into a separate thread and time out after say 20
seconds.

Aaron