[vorbis] The Recording Industry's Secret Weapon Exposed (another article)

Gerry gerry at c64.org
Sun Mar 25 17:36:43 PST 2001

> > Check this out: http://7amnews.com/2001/features/032101.shtml

> This article claims exclusive coverage, and that's what it has. I can't
> find a shred of supporting evidence to support the assertion that this
> software actually exists.

Actually there was a little notice about something like this in a norwegian
pc-mag very recently (PCPro April 2001 issue (released last week), in the
lower left corner on page 6). I'll try to translate it for the interested:

"The music industry will with the help of newly developed software fight free
copying on the internet. It's easy to understand that record stores losing
money is an as frightening thought as a good motive for the music industry.
The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) is only
after persons who distribute music illegally. They want those who copy large
amounts of files at a public court. It's not released any detailed
information about the software who will track the big bad
distribution-wolves, or when they will start using it. Home users who
download music for own use is not cosidered a threat."

Note "The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI)" in
the text above. If you take a look at the large versions of the screenshots
at that webpage, you will see a logo saying "IFPI" in the upper left of the
window, and also the title of the window: "IFPI Internet Anti Privacy
System". Seems this is real enough!

Gerry