[vorbis] bitrtate peeling and lossless compression

heard heard at cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Wed Mar 21 10:53:49 PST 2001

I just read some of the discussion on the list about 'bitrate peeling' and
remembered an interview of Monty that I have read recently.  In it he says
that Vorbis uses MCDTs <sp> and that these are theoretically reversable.
And now, I learn that theoretically we can use bitrate peeling to make
smaller files from larger ones, and that leads to my question.  Could I
theoretically compress my CDs to Vorbis at a rate that is lossless, and
then be able to peel those files to 128k/s or lower for a portable device?
This would alow me to have archive quality music at home, and lower
quality on the go, without recompressing, or storing two versions of each
song, one protable and one archive quality.

Jason

PS - Thanks for Vorbis, its great!