[vorbis] Ogg/Vorbis Downsampling?

Gregory Maxwell greg at linuxpower.cx
Wed Mar 21 07:05:57 PST 2001

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 09:50:34AM -0500, craig duncan wrote:
> I've read this a number of times and it finally occurred to me to ask for
> clarification.  I think i understand "no tools yet" as far as the server doing
> the streaming goes but does a vorbis encoded stream (lack of tools aside)
> currently implement this concept so that, were the tool available, the stream
> could be peeled down to a lower bit rate?  I'm guessing the answer is yes, but
> "format is designed to be able to do this" sounds a little ambivalent on the
> matter.  Is this because it _should_ work but simply hasn't been tested yet?

Yes, you could do it with the files you produce today. But, the results
would be sub-optimal because the encoder doesn't expect you to be doing such
a thing. In the future the encoder will produce output which is a bit
differnt (cascaded codebooks) so it can express to the bitrate peeling
utility what information it can throw away first.