[vorbis] Re: Oggenc & stdin

Marc Martinez lastxit+vorbis at technogeeks.org
Mon Mar 19 23:37:30 PST 2001

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 05:50:25PM +1100, Michael Smith wrote:
> Neither oggenc nor cdparanoia need a fifo for this purpose. Oggenc follows
> the convention of using a filename of '-' (without quotes, of course) to
> mean stdin. So "oggenc -" will encode from stdin (to stdout, since an
> output file isn't specified).

orry, I didn't mean to imply that it did, just hadn't got around to
testing it yet.  I originally worked out the fifo method when dealing
with a young mp3 encoder that wouldn't work with stdin, and later
adapted it slightly to make it work with frontends such as grip where
the ripping program is expected to complete with a resulting wav file
before the encoder process is started.

just in case anyone was wondering why I went to such pains in the
first place, hopefully somebody will find the concept useful.

Marc