[vorbis] oggenc on alpha?

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Mon Mar 19 22:54:58 PST 2001

At 01:23 AM 3/20/01 +0000, you wrote:
>Does anybody successfully use oggenc from vorbis-tools-1.0beta4 on
>an alpha (BSD, Linux, Tru64)?
>
>My very first attempts to encode an ogg file promptly made oggenc
>dump core on me.  (FreeBSD/alpha)

libvorbis (and thus oggenc, as far as I know) used to work on alpha.
However, the alpha is generally much stricter with floating point
exceptions than most other cpus (such as x86, where most of the
primary development is done). As a result, bugs can creep in which
cause this problem, and they don't tend to get fixed terribly
quickly.

I went through and cleaned out all the alpha problems some time
around beta2 or beta3 (I think). Probably some new bugs have
been introduced.

If you're familiar with the use of a debugger (like gdb), could
you compile libvorbis (other stuff too would be useful, but libvorbis
is the important one) with debugging symbols and see where it's
crashing (and why)? A backtrace would be helpful.

If not, then it'll be a bit longer until it gets fixed, but someone
with an alpha will probably get to look at it eventually.

Michael